As the owner of The Upper Hand hair salons in Houston, Rachel Gower knows the effort it takes to keep a small business running. She also knows how important it is for a company to give back to the community. Ms. Gower organized Checking In For Charity in hopes that other business owners would find this idea valuable and join with her this September as she utilizes Checking In For Charity to raise money for one of her favorite organizations...Communities In Schools Houston (CIS). CIS is the nation's largest dropout prevention organization and has a 98% success rate. CIS works with public schools' most at risk children in an effort to provide each child with the "Five Basics".
1. A one on one relationship with a caring adult
2. A safe place to learn and grow
3. A healthy start and a healthy future
4. A marketable skill to use upon graduation
5. A chance to give back to peers and the community